Pass the Rhode Island Permit Test the first time with our FREE Rhode Island Practice Tests. Study real driving permit test questions from the DMV handbook!.
2. When an animal suddenly runs in front of your vehicle, you must
Apply the brakes as hard as you can.
Use the horn and proceed.
Concentrate on retaining control of your vehicle
Quickly drive around the animal.
3. When driving on roads that may be slippery
Do not make any sudden changes in speed or direction.
Reduce your following distance.
Use cruise control to maintain a steady speed.
Always drive at the highest speed allowed.
4. When driving in fog or mist, never put your headlights on high beam because:
The light will reflect back into your eyes.
Vehicles behind you may follow too closely.
Approaching vehicles might not see you
5. Which of the following statements regarding roadway markings is not true?
A broken line on your side allows passing.
Yellow lines separate traffic traveling in the same direction.
White lines separate traffic traveling in the same direction.
A solid line on your side prohibits passing.
6. The posted speed limit is the fastest you can drive in the posted area. you must reduce your speed to a lower speed that is safe for the conditions and circumstances that exist whenever necessary.
7. Which of the following is not true when performing a turnabout?
You cannot perform a turnabout when you see a 'no u-turn' sign.
You can perform a turnabout within 100 feet of an intersection.
You must have clear visibility in each direction for a distance of five hundred feet to perform a turnabout.
You cannot cross a double yellow line when you are performing a turnabout.
8. If weather of light conditions require you to have your lights on:
Use your high beams.
Use your low beams.
Use your parking lights.
9. When you need to change lanes, it is important to:
Signal your intentions ahead of time.
All of the above.
Check your blind spot.
Make sure the lane is clear before entering.
10. If traffic prevents you from crossing all the way across a set of railroad tracks, you may proceed only when
An approaching train is not moving fast enough to be a danger.
There is room for your vehicle on the other side.
At least one-half of your vehicle can cross the tracks.
No trains are in sight.
11. To prevent a fatigue-related crash while driving:
Find a safe parking area to take a 15 to 20 minute nap.
Continue driving so you will reach your destination sooner.
Drive late at night when there are not as many users on the roadway.
12. Which of the following is not true of carbon monoxide poisoning?
Carbon monoxide can be found in the exhaust fumes of all motor vehicles.
It can occur during cold weather when motorists have all their windows closed.
The fumes have a bad odor
The only cure is to open your windows and allow fresh air to circulate within your vehicle.
13. ____ limit(s) your concentration, perception, judgment, and memory.
Only a blood alcohol level greater than .05.
Even the smallest amount of alcohol.
Alcohol does not.
Only a blood alcohol level greater than the legal limit.
14. You must stop at the intersection ahead. just before the intersection, you have to cross railroad tracks. you should stop before you cross the railroad tracks when:
You transport two or more children in a passenger vehicle.
The crossing is located in a city or town with frequent train traffic.
You don't have room on the other side to completely cross the tracks
15. There are two traffic lanes in your direction. you are driving in the left lane and many vehicles are passing you on the right. if the driver behind you wishes to drive faster, you should:
Move over into the right lane when it is safe.
Drive onto the left shoulder to let the other vehicles pass.
Stay in your lane so you don't impede the traffic flow.
16. If an emergency vehicle is approaching you with a siren and flashing lights on, you are required to
Pull over to the right edge of the road.
Continue at the same speed.
Stop immediately wherever you are
Increase your speed and clear the lane.
17. The safety belt use law of rhode island requires ____to wear a safety belt and/or shoulder harness system when travelling on the road.
All passengers in the front seat of a vehicle.
Only the driver of a vehicle.
Passengers in any seating position of a vehicle.
All passengers in the rear seat of a vehicle.
18. Which of the following is a recommended way to control a vehicle in a skid?
All of the answers listed.
Keep your foot away from the brake pedal and the clutch (if applicable).
Let off the gas
Let the vehicle slow gradually.
19. If a transit vehicle (bus) has signaled and is pulling back onto the roadway, you must:
Speed up to pass.
Honk to let them know you're there
Move to the left lane.
20. When establishing residency in rhode island, out-of-state drivers may apply to have their license transferred. the fee for this transfer is:
Rhode Island DMV Driving Test