Pass the Rhode Island Permit Test the first time with our FREE Rhode Island Practice Tests. Study real driving permit test questions from the DMV handbook!.
1. Which of the following describes the condition of velocitizing?
None of the answers listed.
When you begin to feel that you are going faster than your actual speed.
When you begin to feel that you are going slower than your actual speed
When you think that drivers around you are closer than they appear.
2. Which of these statements is true about slippery road surfaces?
Bridges and overpasses freeze last.
Pavements are not slippery the first few minutes after it starts raining on a hot day.
On cold, wet days, shade from buildings or trees can hide spots of ice.
Hydroplaning can only happen to trucks.
3. When approaching a disabled pedestrian using a guide dog, white cane or other assistive device, a driver should yield the right-of-way
4. Which of the following hand signals would a driver use to indicate that s/he is turning left?
Left hand and arm straight out, keeping hand and arm still.
Right hand and arm up, keeping hand and arm still.
Left hand and arm up, keeping hand and arm still.
Left hand and arm down, keeping hand and arm still.
5. If your vehicle starts to hydroplane, you should:
Drive at a constant speed to gain better traction.
Apply the brakes firmly to prevent your vehicle from sliding.
Slow down gradually by easing the gas, and not applying the brakes.
Accelerate to gain better traction.
6. Before driving into an intersection after a stop, you should look:
Straight ahead and to the left.
Left and right only.
Left, right and ahead.
Straight ahead and to the right.
7. Your brake lights tell other drivers that you:
Have your emergency brake on.
Are making a turn.
Are changing lanes.
Are slowing down or stopping.
8. No zones are areas around trucks where cars:
Have sufficient space when traveling behind trucks and when consistent speed has been maintained by the car when passing trucks.
Disappear into blind spots or are so close they restrict the truck driver's ability to stop or maneuver safely.
Try to squeeze around the truck when the truck makes a wide turn and when several car lengths have been left between the large truck and car.
9. Which of the following is not a recommended step to take in the event of an engine failure?
Begin moving out of traffic to the nearest shoulder or curbing.
None of the answers listed.
Try to restart the engine while you are moving
Turn on the hazard flashers and immediately brake.
10. Lanes of traffic moving in the same direction are divided by ____ lines.
11. When approaching an intersection with a flashing red light:
You must come to a complete stop and remain stopped as long as the light is red.
You must come to a complete stop, yield to oncoming traffic or pedestrians, then proceed.
Reduce your speed, and proceed with caution.
12. Before changing lanes or attempting to pass another vehicle, you should:
Check your blind spots, mirrors, and look over shoulder toward the rear.
Signal your intention before changing lanes.
All of the above
13. Which of these statements is true about drinking alcohol and driving?
If you are under the legal blood alcohol concentration limit, your driving isn't impaired.
Alcohol affects judgement, which is needed for driving safely.
If you can walk a straight line after drinking, it is safe to drive.
14. Driving faster than traffic and continually passing other cars:
Helps get you to your destination much faster and safer.
Increases your chances of an accident.
Helps prevent traffic congestion.
Is only allowed on a highway.
15. This road sign means:
The maximum speed limit under ideal conditions.
You must travel through the intersection at the posted speed limit.
You must not travel below the speed indicated.
16. If your vehicle gas pedal sticks, you should:
Shift into neutral and apply the brakes.
Apply the parking brake immediately.
Pull up the pedal with your toe.
Pump your brakes quickly.
17. Coming to a complete stop at an intersection, yielding to cross traffic/pedestrians, and then proceeding when clear corresponds with:
A flashing yellow light.
A flashing red light.
A solid green light.
A solid red light.
18. Drivers may pass on a two-lane roadway marked with a single solid yellow line on their side of the center line.
19. When driving in fog, you should:
Use your high beam headlights.
Use your parking lights.
Use your low beam headlights
20. What is the only effective way to reduce your blood alcohol content (bac)
Allow your body time to get rid of alcohol
Taking a cold shower. Grade
Rhode Island DMV Driving Test