Pass the Rhode Island Permit Test the first time with our FREE Rhode Island Practice Tests. Study real driving permit test questions from the DMV handbook!.
1. A person may ride in a pickup truck if the:
Pickup truck has a seat bolted to the frame.
Person is accompanied by an adult.
Sides of the pickup truck are at least 24 inches high.
Pickup truck is equipped with a restraint system and the person uses it.
2. You may cross a double, yellow line to pass another vehicle, if the yellow line next to:
The other side of the road is a solid line.
Your side of the road is a broken line.
The other side of the road is a broken line
3. Assuming that the street is level, what should you do after you have finished parallel parking in a space between two other cars
Leave your front wheels turned toward the curb.
Make sure your car almost touches the car behind you.
Move as far forward in the space as possible
Straighten your front wheels and leave room between cars.
4. Which of the following are steps you should following when passing a vehicle on the left?
Look to the rear, side view mirrors. and over your left shoulder to see any blind spots.
All of the answers listed.
Change lanes and pass on the left.
Cancel your left turn signal.
Give a left turn signal.
5. On long trips you can prevent drowsiness by
Turning on your car radio.
Slowing down so you can react better.
Stopping at regular intervals for a rest
Moving your eyes from side to side as you drive.
6. You see a car approaching from the rear, but when you check your mirror again before changing lanes, you no longer see it. you should:
Turn your signal on and change lanes slowly.
Look over your shoulder to be sure the car is not in your blind spot.
Signal, honk your horn, and change lanes slowly.
Accelerate to change lanes quicker.
7. Which of these is a legal u-turn?
Over two sets of double yellow lines in the roadway.
150 feet away from a hill or curve.
On a highway where there is a paved opening for a turn.
100 feet away from a hill or a curve.
8. You borrow your friend's vehicle. you have never driven it before. you should:
Don't show your friend that you are unfamiliar with his vehicle.
Drive away, all vehicles are similar.
Disregard any obvious defects so as not to embarrass your friend
Take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the operation and location of all the vehicle's equipment.
9. When you exit a high-speed, two-lane roadway, you must ____ if you have traffic following you.
Increase your speed.
Try not to slow down too suddenly.
Press on the brakes hard.
Try to slow down as soon as possible.
10. If you are under eighteen and applying for a limited instructional permit at the dmv, you must provide a driver education certificate of completion of ____ hours
11. What can you do to avoid the need to make emergency (or 'panic') stops while driving in traffic?
Drive slower than the flow of traffic.
Drive in the right lane only.
Look ahead and maintain a safe following distance.
Honk your horn to make others aware of your presence.
12. The total stopping distance in ideal conditions is determined by
Adding the perception distance and braking distance.
Subtracting the braking distance from the perception distance.
Subtracting the reaction distance from the braking distance.
Adding the perception distance, reaction distance and braking distance.
13. If an approaching train is near enough or going fast enough to be a danger, you must
Slow down and proceed with caution.
Not cross the tracks until the train has completely passed.
Cross the tracks at your own risk.
Find an alternative route across tracks.
14. At a red traffic light with a green arrow, you may proceed in the direction of the arrow if:
You make a complete stop first.
You are in the proper lane and the roadway is clear.
You wait until the light changes.
15. When you want to make a right turn, your car must be
Near the center of the street.
Close to the left side of the street.
Close to the right side of the street.
Past the center of the intersection when you begin to turn.
16. There is no crosswalk and you see a pedestrian crossing your lane ahead. you should:
Stop and let him/her finish crossing the street.
Slow down as you pass him/her.
Make eye contact and then pass him/her
17. On multiple lane highways, you must use ____ to pass other vehicles.
The right lane.
The shoulder lane.
The left lane.
18. You drive along a street and hear a siren. you cannot immediately see the emergency vehicle. you should
Keep driving until you see the vehicle.
Pull to the curb and look to see if it is on your street.
Slow down but don't stop until you see it.
Speed up and turn at the next intersection.
19. Sudden wind gusts on highways:
Cause only visual problems because of dust and dirt blowing around.
Generally affect only the movement of large vehicles.
Can be a problem for all vehicles.
20. The safety belt use law of rhode island requires ____to wear a safety belt and/or shoulder harness system when travelling on the road.
All passengers in the front seat of a vehicle.
Only the driver of a vehicle.
Passengers in any seating position of a vehicle.
All passengers in the rear seat of a vehicle. Grade
Rhode Island DMV Driving Test