Pass the Rhode Island Permit Test the first time with our FREE Rhode Island Practice Tests. Study real driving permit test questions from the DMV handbook!.
1. A steady yellow light means that a ____ light will soon appear.
2. Regulatory signs
Are diamond shaped and yellow or green.
May warn drivers they are approaching a school zone.
Indicate what a driver must or must not do.
Are placed where there is danger at all times.
3. To avoid getting rear-ended by another vehicle in an emergency, you should:
Turn your head and look over your shoulder.
Check your rearview mirror often.
Start braking early as a signal to the driver behind you.
Drive with your left foot on the brake pedal at all times.
4. Drivers about to pass others should be especially careful of pedestrians and vehicles entering the road at:
Crossroads, intersections and junctions.
Railroad crossings and stations.
Shopping center entrances and exits.
All of the above.
5. Which of the following hand signals would a driver use to indicate that s/he is turning left?
Left hand and arm straight out, keeping hand and arm still.
Right hand and arm up, keeping hand and arm still.
Left hand and arm up, keeping hand and arm still.
Left hand and arm down, keeping hand and arm still.
6. If a vehicle stalls on the tracks and the motorist sees a train coming, the motorist must
Give a signal to the oncoming train.
Open all doors and wait for the help.
Get out and walk clear of tracks.
Try to start the engine.
7. In a parking space reserved for people with disabilities, a non-disabled driver
May park in an emergency.
May not park, but stop in an emergency.
May not park or stop, but may stand in an emergency
May neither park, stop nor stand.
8. To ensure the lane next to you is clear when you want to change lanes, you should:
Turn your head and look over the right shoulder.
Look into the rearview mirror only.
Turn your head and look in the lane you are going to enter.
Turn your head and look over your left shoulder.
9. To avoid panic stops:
Watch for things in the roadway well ahead of you.
Drive with your window partly down
10. When a red light flashes at a railroad crossing, you must:
Stop only if you see a train coming.
Stop 10 ft behind the signal.
Stop and then proceed when safe.
Slow down before crossing.
11. To avoid accidents, drivers should communicate with each other by:
Signaling when changing lanes/direction, slowing down or stopping.
Using their horns in emergencies and when really necessary.
Using emergency flashers/flares/signs as needed.
All of the above.
12. If you are being followed too closely (tailgated), you must
Slow down and encourage the driver behind you to pass.
Stop your car on the road and argue with the driver following you.
Increase your speed to avoid the driver behind you
Tap your horn to warn the driver.
13. A broken yellow line beside a solid yellow line indicates:
Passing is not permitted in either direction.
Passing is permitted on the side of the broken yellow line.
Passing is permitted on the side of the solid yellow line.
14. If your car has air bags, you should use your seatbelt:
Only on the freeway.
At all times.
Unless you are only driving within city limits.
Only when you are driving over 35 mph.
15. If you are unable to see the road ahead while driving through heavy rain or fog, and your wipers do not help, you should:
Turn on your high-beams and continue driving.
Pull off the road completely until visibility improves.
Slow down and continue driving.
Slow down, turn your emergency lights on and continue driving.
16. If you are driving on a road with 3 or more lanes, you should stay ____, except when passing another vehicle.
In the extreme left lane.
In the extreme right lane.
In the middle lane.
On the shoulder of the road.
17. A person may ride in a pickup truck if the:
Pickup truck has a seat bolted to the frame.
Person is accompanied by an adult.
Sides of the pickup truck are at least 24 inches high.
Pickup truck is equipped with a restraint system and the person uses it.
18. Before returning to the original lane after passing another vehicle, you should:
Flash your headlights.
See both headlights of the passed vehicle in your rear view mirror.
Beep your horn.
19. What is the best advice for driving when heavy fog, dust or precipitation occurs?
Try not to drive until conditions improve.
Do not drive too slowly because other drivers may hit you.
Alternate your low and high-beams to improve your vision.
20. It is unlawful to move into the same lane alongside a motorcycle.
Rhode Island DMV Driving Test