Pass the Rhode Island Permit Test the first time with our FREE Rhode Island Practice Tests. Study real driving permit test questions from the DMV handbook!.
1. You want to park downhill on a two-way road and there is no curb. which way do you turn your front wheels?
So they face straight ahead.
Away from the curb.
2. When driving in the far right lane of a freeway, you:
Must drive slower than other traffic.
Should expect vehicles merging onto the road from freeway on-ramps.
Must give the right-of-way to merging traffic.
Must drive faster than other traffic.
3. When waiting to make a left turn, you should give the right-of-way to vehicles coming from the opposite direction:
Until at least two vehicles have passed.
Until dangerously close cars have passed.
Until all of the cars have passed.
Until your traffic signal starts changing to red, then you have to make a turn even if there are vehicles in the intersection.
4. If a driver behind you repeatedly flashes his/her headlights, you should
Get out of the way.
Switch on your low-beam lights.
Increase your vehicle speed and move ahead
Switch on your high-beam lights.
5. When passing a large vehicle, do not pull back in front of the vehicle until you can see its
Headlights in your inside rearview mirror.
Headlights in your right side mirror.
Driver in your left side mirror
Headlights in your left side mirror.
6. When parked on any hill, you should always set your parking brake and:
Place your engine gear into the parked position.
Keep your front wheels parallel to the road.
Leave your vehicle in neutral.
Turn your wheels towards the curb.
7. If there is a solid double yellow line in the center of the roadway, you:
May turn left into a private driveway.
Are on a one-way street.
Are in a center left turn lane.
May cross it to overtake slow moving vehicles.
8. When parking your vehicle on any hill:
One of your rear wheels should touch the curb.
Use your parking brake and leave the vehicle in park.
Your front wheels should be parallel to the road if there is no curb.
Always turn your wheels towards the curb.
9. When a traffic signal light turns green, you should:
Back up slowly.
Accelerate as quickly as possible to the next intersection.
Not move until another driver waves you on.
Yield the right-of-way to pedestrians.
10. If you are stopped by the police at night, what are you required to do?
Get out of the car and greet the officer.
Leave your car running.
Turn on the interior light and leave it on for the duration of the encounter
Turn off all your lights including your headlights.
Hold both hands vertically in the air.
11. If your out-of-state license is currently valid or has not been expired for more than ____, you will not be required to take a computerized test or a road test.
September 4, 2018
September 4, 2019
September 4, 2020
September 4, 2022
12. Which of these statements is true about road construction zones
You are responsible for the safety of the road workers.
Slow down only if you think workers are present.
Fines are the same for violations committed in construction zones.
None of the above.
13. Driving under the influence of any medication which impairs your driving is permitted
If it is prescribed by a physician.
If you don't feel drowsy.
Under no circumstances.
14. If a truck or bus needs to make a right turn and you are also turning right:
Squeeze between the truck or bus and the curb.
Wait until the truck or bus turns before turning right.
Quickly turn right before the truck or bus does.
15. On slippery roads, you should:
Not drive faster than 20 mph
Go the speed limit, with caution.
16. Passing is prohibited
All of the above.
On hills and curves.
At railroad crossings.
17. On multiple lane highways, you must use ____ to pass other vehicles.
The right lane.
The shoulder lane.
The left lane.
18. You may cross a single solid white line in the highway
Whenever you want to.
If traffic conditions require.
Only to turn into a driveway.
Only to make a u-turn.
19. Motorcycles, scooters, and mopeds are not easy to see-- therefore, you should:
Make constant visual checks.
Slow down when driving.
Share a lane with motorcycles.
20. What is a safety zone?
An empty space next to the freeway dividers.
A space set aside for pedestrians.
The median strip on a divided highway.
A space around your vehicle that allows you to react to driving hazards. Grade
Rhode Island DMV Driving Test