Iowa DMV Driving Test

Pass the Iowa Permit Test the first time with our FREE Iowa Practice Tests. Study real driving permit test questions from the DMV handbook!.

1. What should you do if your engine stalls while you are driving?
2. The posted speed limit is the fastest you can drive in the posted area. you must reduce your speed to a lower speed that is safe for the conditions and circumstances that exist whenever necessary.
3. When driving on gravel or dirt roads:
4. A good safety rule, when you are sure you have a legal right-of-way, is:
5. It is best not to drive in the fog, but if you must do so, you should use:
6. Don't follow other cars too closely because:
7. When driving on slick roads, you should:
8. Which of the following describes the thinking of a defensive driver?
9. What can you do to reduce 'road rage'?
10. Before backing up, you should:
11. When driving on wet roadways, you should remember:
12. Solid yellow lines separate:
13. How many seconds ahead of your vehicle, at least, should you look down the road to avoid last-minute breaking or the need to turn?
14. You are coming to an intersection with a yellow flashing light. you should:
15. A no parking sign at a certain location means
16. What should you do when you are going to enter a roadway from a private road
17. Animals may be transported in the back of a pickup truck only if:
18. Which of the following driving skills are affected by the use of alcohol and/or drugs?
19. There is no crosswalk and you see a pedestrian crossing your lane ahead. you should:
20. Why should drivers and passengers adjust seat headrests in motor vehicles?

Iowa DMV Driving Test

My score:

About Permit Practice Tests

To operate a motorcycle in Iowa, you must have a Class M license or a motorcycle endorsement on your driver's license. Licenses are issued by the Motor Vehicle Division (MVD). At age 14, you can apply for a motorcycle instruction permit or moped-only license. At age 16, you can apply for a motorcycle endorsement or Class M license. A motorcycle permit or license allows you to operate a motorcycle, motorbike, scooter, or moped on public roads.

To receive a motorcycle instruction permit, or moped-only license, you must apply, submit your documentation, pass the vision screening and motorcycle knowledge exam, and pay the fees. The moped-only license also requires that you pass the operator knowledge test, if you do not already have an instruction permit or license, and complete a moped education course. A driving test may also be required. To receive a Class M license, you must apply, submit your documentation, pay the fees, and pass the vision screening, motorcycle knowledge test, operator knowledge test, and the motorcycle skills test. To receive a motorcycle endorsement on your current license, you must pass the vision screening, motorcycle knowledge test, and motorcycle skills test.

Tests are scheduled through the MVD. The motorcycle knowledge test contains 25 questions covering road rules and safe riding practices. You must answer 20 of the questions correctly to pass. The motorcycle rider skills test assesses your ability to operate your motorcycle safely. If you fail a test, you must wait one business day to retake it.