Iowa DMV Motorcycle Test

Pass the Iowa Motorcycle Permit test the first time with FREE Iowa DMV Practice Tests. Study real motorcycle permit questions from the DMV handbook!.

1. When loading saddlebags, it is important to
2. Why is it important to cross railroad tracks at an angle of at least 45 degrees?
3. If your throttle sticks while riding, you should first
4. You can initiate a swerve by
5. If the rear wheel locks, you should
6. What does the acronym see stand for?
7. What term is used to define a sudden change in direction?
8. The best way to cross unavoidable obstacles on the road is to
9. When starting on an uphill slope, you should first use ____ brake to hold the motorcycle while starting the engine and shifting into first gear.
10. When you are riding at night, it is best to
11. When choosing a lane position, the best position
12. If it is not possible to ride straight while crossing railroad tracks, you should cross them at a ____ angle.
13. When can you ride side-by-side with another motorcycle?
14. Which of the following is not part of the upshifting process?
15. When riding a motorcycle, your arms are primarily used for
16. What are the 4 steps to making a proper turn?
17. If both braking and swerving are required to avoid hitting an object, in which order should you brake and swerve?
18. If you are riding an unfamiliar bike what should you do?
19. Motorcycles require more frequent attention to maintenance than does an automobile due to risk of exposure when in traffic. which of the following checks should a motorcycle owner not check before operating?
20. A hazardous place for motorcycles to travel is

Iowa DMV Motorcycle Test

My score:

About Motorcycle Permit Practice Tests

To operate a motorcycle in Iowa, you must have a Class M license or a motorcycle endorsement on your driver's license. Licenses are issued by the Motor Vehicle Division (MVD). At age 14, you can apply for a motorcycle instruction permit or moped-only license. At age 16, you can apply for a motorcycle endorsement or Class M license. A motorcycle permit or license allows you to operate a motorcycle, motorbike, scooter, or moped on public roads.

To receive a motorcycle instruction permit, or moped-only license, you must apply, submit your documentation, pass the vision screening and motorcycle knowledge exam, and pay the fees. The moped-only license also requires that you pass the operator knowledge test, if you do not already have an instruction permit or license, and complete a moped education course. A driving test may also be required. To receive a Class M license, you must apply, submit your documentation, pay the fees, and pass the vision screening, motorcycle knowledge test, operator knowledge test, and the motorcycle skills test. To receive a motorcycle endorsement on your current license, you must pass the vision screening, motorcycle knowledge test, and motorcycle skills test.

Tests are scheduled through the MVD. The motorcycle knowledge test contains 25 questions covering road rules and safe riding practices. You must answer 20 of the questions correctly to pass. The motorcycle rider skills test assesses your ability to operate your motorcycle safely. If you fail a test, you must wait one business day to retake it.