California DMV Driving Test

Pass the California Permit Test the first time with our FREE California Practice Tests. Study real driving permit test questions from the DMV handbook!.

1. Why should you drive more slowly in heavy traffic?
2. Which of the following actions should pedestrians not do?
3. What does this regulatory sign mean?
4. What are the colors of the warning signs that indicate hazards ahead, such as curves in the road or narrow bridges?
5. What is the maximum speed limit on most of the highways in california?
6. Which of the following driving skills are affected by the use of alcohol and/or drugs?
7. Your driving lane is next to a bicycle lane. you want to make a right turn at the incoming intersection. you:
8. A ____ indicates the outer edge of the traffic lane, and it may be crossed only by traffic moving to or from the shoulder.
9. In order to obtain an out-of-california state minor's driver license, you need to ____.
10. When towing a vehicle or trailer, driving a bus, or driving a 3 or more axle truck, which lane should you drive in?
11. Which of these is a legal u-turn?
12. To turn right from a highway with two lanes in your direction, turn from:
13. When approaching an intersection to make a right turn, you must stay ____ and make the turn close to the right curb.
14. A flashing red traffic light at an intersection means:
15. Special turnout areas marked on a two-lane road
16. What is the difference between traffic lights with red arrows and those with solid red lights
17. You are driving defensively when you:
18. You may drive in a bike lane
19. Which of the following can be considered a legal parking zone?
20. Flash floods can cause vehicles to float and fill with water, trapping and drowning people. while especially dangerous at night and in deep water, even ____ inches of water can float some small cars.

California DMV Driving Test

My score:

About Permit Practice Tests

To operate a motorcycle in California, you must have a Class M license. Licenses are issued through the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV). The state offers a motorcycle instruction permit and two license levels. An M1 license includes any type of motorcycle, and an M2 license is specifically for motorbikes, mopeds, or scooters. You must be at least 15 ½ to apply for a Class M1 or M2 permit. At age 16, you can apply for an M1 or M2 license if you have held a permit for at least 6 months.

To receive a Class M1 or M2 permit or license, you must submit your documentation, pass the vision screening, pass the driver and motorcycle knowledge tests, complete a Form DL44 application, and pay the fees. Anyone under the age of 21 must also complete the California Highway Patrol California Motorcyclist Safety Program (CHP CMSP) and submit the certification. Applicants who are over 21 are encouraged to take the CHP CMSP course as well, and the motorcycle skills test is waived for those who complete the course.

Tests are scheduled through your local DMV. The written exam contains 25 questions about signaling, crossing, changing lanes and other safe driving practices. You must answer 20 of the questions correctly to pass. The motorcycle skills test examines how well you handle and operate your motorcycle. If you fail a test, you must wait one day to retake it.