California DMV Motorcycle Test

Pass the California Motorcycle Permit test the first time with FREE California DMV Practice Tests. Study real motorcycle permit questions from the DMV handbook!.

1. When passing another vehicle
2. When carrying a passenger, instruct them to
3. As you approach an obstacle, you should
4. When packing your motorcycle, you should pack heavier items
5. Usually, ____ lane position should be avoided.
6. In countersteering, to initiate a turn, pushing the right handgrip will allow the motorcycle to
7. If you are being followed by a tailgater and he or she is not able to pass you, you should
8. You can increase your safety at night by
9. When should you rise off the seat slightly?
10. Begin to signal ____ feet before making a turn.
11. When carrying a passenger, your motorcycle will
12. When someone is merging into your lane from an off-ramp, the best strategy is to
13. When driving at night, what is the best way to identify bumps in the road?
14. Which of the following statements about crossing an intersection is true?
15. When you ride in a group
16. If an obstacle cannot be avoided and you must drive over it, approach it at a ____-degree angle.
17. You are being followed closely, and as you approach an intersection, the light turns yellow. what should you do?
18. When can you be sure another driver will yield to you?
19. What is the proper way to swerve?
20. When is it safe for you to ride side-by-side with another motorcycle?

California DMV Motorcycle Test

My score:

Other California Tests

About Motorcycle Permit Practice Tests

To operate a motorcycle in California, you must have a Class M license. Licenses are issued through the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV). The state offers a motorcycle instruction permit and two license levels. An M1 license includes any type of motorcycle, and an M2 license is specifically for motorbikes, mopeds, or scooters. You must be at least 15 ½ to apply for a Class M1 or M2 permit. At age 16, you can apply for an M1 or M2 license if you have held a permit for at least 6 months.

To receive a Class M1 or M2 permit or license, you must submit your documentation, pass the vision screening, pass the driver and motorcycle knowledge tests, complete a Form DL44 application, and pay the fees. Anyone under the age of 21 must also complete the California Highway Patrol California Motorcyclist Safety Program (CHP CMSP) and submit the certification. Applicants who are over 21 are encouraged to take the CHP CMSP course as well, and the motorcycle skills test is waived for those who complete the course.

Tests are scheduled through your local DMV. The written exam contains 25 questions about signaling, crossing, changing lanes and other safe driving practices. You must answer 20 of the questions correctly to pass. The motorcycle skills test examines how well you handle and operate your motorcycle. If you fail a test, you must wait one day to retake it.