Pass the South Dakota Permit Test the first time with our FREE South Dakota Practice Tests. Study real driving permit test questions from the DMV handbook!.
1. After you have passed a vehicle moving in the same direction, it is safe to move back into the right lane:
When you can no longer see the vehicle over your right shoulder.
When you can see the front of the vehicle or the vehicle's headlights in your rearview mirror.
After about 3 seconds.
2. Which of these is a safe driving technique
Using your high beam lights in the fog.
Starring at the road ahead of your vehicle.
Checking your rearview mirrors frequently.
3. Which of the following is not a recommended procedure when encountering a headlight failure?
If headlights fail, turn on hazard flashers, turn signals, or fog lamps.
All of the answers listed.
Switch the headlights on and off a few times to try and correct the issue
Pull of the roadway safely and as soon as possible.
Keep driving until the destination is reached.
4. Bac means:
Blood alcohol conservation.
Blood alcohol concentration.
Blood alcohol content.
5. What should you do when you are going to enter a roadway from a private road
Blow your horn to warn cars you are entering the roadway.
Stop with part of the car on the roadway to warn other drivers.
Drive out fast to merge smoothly with the traffic.
Yield the right-of-way to pedestrians and roadway traffic.
6. Which of the following statements is true about BAC (blood alcohol content)
The breathalyzer is a test of a person's bac.
A chemical test for BAC is needed for an alcohol conviction.
Bac levels are reduced by a person's physical fitness
After drinking, coffee or a cold shower will lower your bac.
7. The amount of alcohol in the blood is referred to as:
Blood alcohol concentration (bac).
Rate of alcohol consumption (rac).
Implied consent (ic).
8. If your engine dies while driving, which should you do?
All listed answers.
Pull off the roadway.
Steer as best you can
Keep a strong grip on the steering wheel.
10. When you turn from a high-speed, two-lane roadway, ____ if you have traffic following you.
Try to increase the speed of your vehicle.
Try to quickly slow down your vehicle.
Try not to slow down your vehicle too suddenly.
Try to apply brakes and keep the steering steady.
11. Using the unpaved shoulder of the road to pass to the right of a car is permitted if:
The car ahead is waiting to turn left.
It should never be done.
You are turning right at the next corner.
You are riding a motorcycle.
12. Roads with double solid yellow line markings in the center indicate that passing is:
Not allowed in either direction.
Allowed in both directions.
Allowed only in your direction of travel.
13. When looking ahead of your vehicle while driving, you should look:
Straight ahead at all times.
Only at the car ahead of you.
Straight ahead only if there are no vehicles behind you.
Back and forth, near and far.
14. The best thing to do if you become tired or sleepy while driving is:
Get rest or change drivers.
Open a window.
15. There is no crosswalk and you see a pedestrian crossing your lane ahead. you should:
Make eye contact and then pass him/her.
Slow down as you pass him/her.
Stop and let him/her finish crossing the street
16. Which of the following are unable to get a south dakota license?
A 15-year old.
A person who owes $800 in back child support payments.
All listed answers are correct
A person whose privileges were suspended in another state.
An immigrant on a work visa.
17. If there are no reduced speed limits posted at work zones, drivers should
Drive at a speed equal to 45 mph.
Obey the normal posted speed limit.
Drive at a speed of less than 50 mph
Drive at a speed of greater than 70 mph.
18. A steady green light at an intersection means that you:
Must slow down and prepare to stop.
Must stop and check for oncoming traffic before proceeding.
May drive through the intersection if the road is clear.
May not turn right.
19. You may cross double yellow lines to pass another vehicle if the
Vehicle in front of you moves to the right to let you pass.
Yellow line next to the other side of the road is broken.
Yellow line next to your side of the road is broken.
20. If a traffic signal is not functioning properly, the vehicle facing a red or unlighted signal shall behave how?
As if it were a stop sign.
As if it were a yellow signal.
None of the listed answers
As if it were a yield sign. Grade
South Dakota DMV Driving Test