Pass the South Dakota Permit Test the first time with our FREE South Dakota Practice Tests. Study real driving permit test questions from the DMV handbook!.
1. Blocking an intersection during 'rush hour' traffic is not permitted
Unless you entered the intersection on a green light.
Unless you have the right of way or a green light.
Under any circumstances, even if your light is green.
2. When should you not insist on taking your legal right-of-way?
When other drivers want to drive faster.
Never. it confuses other drivers.
When it helps prevent accidents.
When you have two or more passengers in the vehicle.
3. While all of the following are dangerous to do while driving, which is also illegal?
Reading a road map.
Traveling slower than other traffic.
Adjusting your outside mirrors.
Listening to music through a set of dual headphones.
4. Which of these is a safe driving practice?
Checking your rearview mirrors frequently.
Staring at the road ahead of your vehicle.
Using your high-beam lights in the fog.
5. Drivers turning left must yield to:
6. Before backing up your vehicle, you should look to the front, sides, and rear, and continue to look ____ while backing.
To the rear.
To the front.
To the sides.
Into the side mirrors.
7. To help avoid crashes, you should:
Communicate with other drivers on the road.
Ignore other drivers on the road.
Drive on side streets and back roads.
Avoid driving during rush hour.
8. Which of the following is not a proper step for parallel parking?
Back up quickly, turning your steering wheel to the left to aim the back of your vehicle toward the front of the vehicle behind you.
Put on your turn signal to warn other drivers that you intend to park.
As the front of your vehicle clears the back of the vehicle in front of you, turn your wheels sharply to the left and continue backing slowly until the back of your vehicle almost touches the vehicle behind you
Straighten your wheels and pull forward to center the vehicle in the parking space.
9. If there are no reduced speed limits posted at work zones, drivers should
Drive at a speed equal to 45 mph.
Obey the normal posted speed limit.
Drive at a speed of less than 50 mph
Drive at a speed of greater than 70 mph.
10. Which of these is a legal u-turn?
Over two sets of double yellow lines in the roadway.
150 feet away from a hill or curve.
On a highway where there is a paved opening for a turn.
100 feet away from a hill or a curve.
11. All drivers under the age of 21 have a specific restriction prohibiting them from:
Driving or attempting to drive while smoking.
Driving or attempting to drive before midnight.
Driving or attempting to drive after consuming alcohol.
12. At intersections with a 'yield' sign, you must:
Yield to those vehicles only on your right.
Slow down and proceed.
Yield the right-of-way to cross traffic close enough to cause conflict.
13. If you have an argument with another person and you are angry, before driving a car you should:
Play the radio loud so you won't think about it.
Take a few minutes to cool off.
Drive on the interstate so you can let off steam
14. If you find yourself in a skid
Stay off the brakes.
15. Which of these is a safe driving technique
Using your high beam lights in the fog.
Starring at the road ahead of your vehicle.
Checking your rearview mirrors frequently.
16. When driving in fog, heavy rain or snow, use:
Driving lights only.
17. Which of the following driving skills are affected by the use of alcohol and/or drugs?
Alertness and concentration.
Reaction time and coordination.
All of the above are affected
18. If you get sleepy while driving, you should:
Move to the right lane and continue driving.
Drink coffee to make you stay awake.
Drive to a safe place, park, remove the ignition key, and rest.
Accelerate so you can get to your destination quicker.
19. When merging with traffic, you should:
Be going faster than the flow of traffic.
Be going slower than the flow of traffic.
Be going the same speed as the flow of traffic
Come to a complete stop on the ramp before proceeding.
20. What does a center lane with dashed yellow lines inside solid ones indicate?
A breakdown lane for cars to pull over.
A lane for emergency vehicles only.
A shared passing lane
A shared left turn lane. Grade
South Dakota DMV Driving Test