Pass the South Dakota Permit Test the first time with our FREE South Dakota Practice Tests. Study real driving permit test questions from the DMV handbook!.
1. An intersection has a stop sign, crosswalk, but no stop line. you must stop
Before the crosswalk.
50 feet before the intersection.
Where you think the stop line would be.
With your front wheels in the crosswalk.
2. A vehicle's stopping distance is equal to
The sum of the braking distance and following distance.
The braking distance.
The sum of the reaction distance and following distance
The sum of the braking distance and reaction distance.
3. Which of the following should you do to help prevent a vehicle emergency?
All listed answers.
Follow a recommended maintenance schedule.
Avoid ignoring warning signs of bigger failures
Review the owner's manual regularly.
4. If a car ahead of you has stopped at a crosswalk, you should:
Stop and then proceed when safe.
Change lanes, look carefully, and pass.
Slow down, look both ways, and proceed.
Drive to the right edge of the road and stop.
5. The golden rule of driving is to:
Treat others the way you want to be treated.
Ignore other drivers on the roadway.
6. If you see a pedestrian using a guide dog or other service animal or carrying a white cane at an intersection, you must
Stop your vehicle.
Switch on your headlights to alert the pedestrian.
Reduce your speed and pass slowly
Use your horn to alert the pedestrian.
7. If a pedestrian is in a marked or unmarked crosswalk, you must
Not stop your vehicle.
Reduce your speed and proceed with caution.
Stop and wait until the pedestrian has passed.
Increase your speed and cross the crosswalk quickly.
8. When turning left at an intersection:
Oncoming traffic and pedestrians should yield to you.
You should never yield to oncoming traffic and pedestrians.
You should always yield to oncoming traffic and pedestrians.
10. You must use high-beam lighting in all of the following situations, except
When there may be people along the side of the road.
In fog, snow, or heavy rain.
In construction areas
On unfamiliar roads.
11. When you come to an intersection and try to make a move, you must follow the ____ before you pull out.
Left and right rule.
Left, left, and right rule.
Left, right, and left rule.
Right, left, and right rule.
12. At a speed of 55 mph, you need about ____ seconds to pass.
13. You are entering a freeway. you should check traffic on the freeway by:
Using the inside mirror.
Using both the inside and outside mirrors.
Using the side mirror and looking over your shoulder.
14. If you have a BAC of .10%, you are ____ times more likely to cause an accident than if you were sober.
15. Which of the following right-of-way rules is not true?
Drivers must yield the right-of-way at all times to pedestrians who are in a marked or unmarked crosswalk.
You must obey signals given by a law enforcement officer even if the officer's signals contradict the traffic signals.
At an intersection where there is no stop sign, yield sign, or oncoming traffic signal, drivers must yield to vehicles coming from the left
Pedestrians using a guide dog or carrying a white cane have the absolute right-of-way.
16. You are driving in the middle lane on a 3 lane expressway. a car begins to pass you on the right. the actions of that driver are
Wrong because pass to the left is a firm rule.
Wrong because he's passing you in your blind spot.
Ok as long as he does it on a limited access highway
Ok if no signs forbid passing on the right.
17. You are merging onto an interstate highway. you should
Always stop before entering the highway.
Select a safe gap and merge into the lane of traffic.
Merge over two lanes at once and speed up.
18. Hearing impaired drivers do which of the following?
All listed answers.
Have as good a record as any other driver.
Rely more on vision
Stay more alert.
19. When you want to pass a large truck in the center of 3 lanes, it is best to pass:
Quickly on the left and move ahead of it.
Very slowly on the left and move ahead of it.
Very quickly on the right and move ahead of it.
Very slowly on the right and stay in your lane.
20. How should you best control your speed?
All listed answers.
Check the speedometer often.
Do not worry too much about it
Drive by feel. Grade
South Dakota DMV Driving Test