Pass the South Dakota Permit Test the first time with our FREE South Dakota Practice Tests. Study real driving permit test questions from the DMV handbook!.
1. Drivers must use bright lights only when driving
At night, on the express highway.
At night, in the open country without other cars nearby.
At night, in the city
At night, under the influence of alcohol.
2. On a wet road, you should reduce your normal speed by ____ mph.
3. When sharing the road with a trolley or light rail vehicle:
Remember they are loud and move slowly like freight trains.
Always pass a light rail vehicle or trolley slowly on the right.
Never turn in front of an approaching trolley or light rail vehicle.
Always honk your horn to greet the driver.
4. When the yellow lights are flashing, all drivers approaching ____must obey the posted speed limit of 15 mph.
A railroad crossing.
A school zone.
A construction zone.
5. Children on bicycles should be given even more space by motor vehicle operators because:
They are smaller and more difficult to see.
Both. they are smaller and more difficult to see and they do not have the same physical reflexes as an adult.
They do not have the same physical reflexes as an adult.
6. On an undivided highway when an emergency vehicle approaches with its siren and/or flashing lights on, you should:
Speed up to clear traffic.
Drive slowly until it has passed.
Pull to the right and stop
7. When you park on a hill, with the vehicle heading down the hill:
Turn your wheels away from the side of the road.
Keep your wheels straight.
Turn your wheels sharply towards the side of the road
8. When used on roadways, bicyclists are considered
9. When you come to a flashing yellow light, you must:
Stop before crossing.
Wait for the green light.
Slow down and cross carefully.
10. Which of the following is true about stopping quickly in a vehicle without an anti-lock braking system (abs)?
All of the answers listed.
As soon as wheel traction is regained the operator should again apply as much pressure on the brake pedal as possible without loss of control or traction.
If an operator feels the vehicle losing control and traction they should quickly reduce pressure on the brake pedal
Apply the brakes as much as possible without causing wheel lock-ups or skids.
An operator can cause the car to fish-tail or spin out when stepping on the brakes too hard.
11. If you want to park downhill and there is no curb, which way do you turn your front wheels?
Towards the road.
Parallel to the road.
Towards the side of the road.
Either way, since there is no curb.
12. When driving on a slippery surface such as snow or ice:
Maintain traction by following other vehicles closely.
Pump your brakes to keep them from freezing.
Shift to a low gear before going down steep hills.
Accelerate rapidly to improve traction.
13. A curb painted red means:
Reserved for passengers pick up or drop off.
No parking or stopping.
14. If you meet a stopped school bus with the lights flashing and the signal arm extended, you should:
Proceed at 15 mph if no children are present.
Proceed at normal speed, but watch for children.
15. The proper way in which to make a right turn is:
Slow down and get into the lane nearest the centerline.
Approach the corner in the lane nearest the right curb, but move over toward the middle of the street before turning.
Signal and get into the lane nearest the right curb
16. Pedestrians crossing at corners have the right-of-way:
Only at controlled intersections.
Whether or not a crosswalk is marked.
Only when a crosswalk is painted on the street.
Only when crossing on green signal.
17. Which of the following statements is not true regarding the use of headlights?
Low beams are used when traveling in fog, rain, or snow.
High beams are used when traveling behind other vehicles.
High beams are used for open country driving when there is no traffic in sight
Low beams are used in city driving and driving in traffic on roadways.
18. If a truck or bus needs to make a right turn and you are also turning right:
Squeeze between the truck or bus and the curb.
Quickly turn right before the truck or bus does.
Wait until the truck or bus turns before turning right.
19. An intersection has a stop sign, crosswalk, but no stop line. you must stop
Before the crosswalk.
50 feet before the intersection.
Where you think the stop line would be.
With your front wheels in the crosswalk.
20. Give the right-of-way to any pedestrian who is:
In a marked crosswalk.
In any crosswalk or intersection.
Crossing any street. Grade
South Dakota DMV Driving Test