Pass the South Dakota Permit Test the first time with our FREE South Dakota Practice Tests. Study real driving permit test questions from the DMV handbook!.
1. When driving in a construction zone:
Expect the unexpected.
Slightly increase your speed.
Construction workers must yield to roadway users.
2. If you are following a truck that swings left before making a right turn at an intersection, you should remember that it is very dangerous to:
Try to squeeze between the truck and curb to make a right turn.
Apply your brakes until the truck has completed the turn.
Violate the 4-second following distance rule.
Honk your horn at the truck driver.
3. Which of the following should you do when starting a vehicle?
If a manual transmission, put it in neutral.
If an automatic, put the vehicle in park.
Make sure the parking brake is on
All listed answers.
4. Slowing down just to look at collisions or anything else out of the ordinary:
Improves traffic flow by preventing collisions.
Causes traffic congestion.
Prevents rear-end collisions.
5. A lighted red arrow means
You may not increase the speed of the vehicle in the direction indicated by the arrow.
You may proceed only after yielding to pedestrians and other traffic.
You may not proceed in the direction indicated by the arrow
You may slowly proceed in the direction indicated by the arrow.
6. You may drive around or under a gate that is being lowered or raised at a railroad crossing
As long as an approaching train is not too close.
If your vehicle can do so without damaging the gate.
If you first look carefully in both directions.
Under no circumstances.
7. While all of the following are dangerous to do while driving, which is also illegal?
Reading a road map.
Traveling slower than other traffic.
Adjusting your outside mirrors.
Listening to music through a set of dual headphones.
8. When a school bus is stopped on your side of the road with its red lights flashing, you must:
Change lanes and pass cautiously.
Slow to 10 mph.
Stop until the lights stop flashing.
9. Collisions can happen more often when:
One lane of traffic is traveling faster than the other lanes.
One vehicle is traveling faster or slower than the flow of traffic.
All vehicles are traveling about the same speed
10. Driving slower than other traffic tends to:
Make an accident more likely to happen.
Make an accident less likely to happen.
Not change the chances of having an accident.
Is a defensive driving technique.
11. You may pass another vehicle on the right if it is waiting to
Park at the curb.
Turn into a driveway on the right.
12. You are required to wear your seat belt in a moving vehicle:
Unless the vehicle has airbags.
Unless you are in the back of a pickup.
At all times.
Only if you are on a highway.
13. When traffic control lights are not working, you must ____ before proceeding through the intersection.
Come to a full stop.
Increase your speed.
14. When you see a solid center line on your side of the road, you must
Not pass on the left using the oncoming traffic lane.
Not increase your speed.
Change your lane
Stop your vehicle.
15. Which of the following are individuals who might need extra room?
All listed answers.
Drivers in trouble.
People who are distracted
Those who cannot see you.
16. What is the biggest danger of consistently going faster than traffic?
The chance of inciting 'road rage' in another driver.
The danger of getting pulled over for speeding.
The excessive use of gas
The increased chances of a crash caused by continual passing.
17. On one-way roads, yellow lines are used as
18. Car drivers should never be alongside a motorcycle in the same lane even if the lane is wide and the cyclist is riding to one side, because
Motorcyclists may misguide the car driver.
Motorcycles do not have signal lights.
Motorcycles need the full width of the lane
Motorcyclists do not need to follow traffic rules.
20. When you turn from a high-speed, two-lane roadway, ____ if you have traffic following you.
Try to increase the speed of your vehicle.
Try to quickly slow down your vehicle.
Try not to slow down your vehicle too suddenly.
Try to apply brakes and keep the steering steady. Grade
South Dakota DMV Driving Test