Pass the South Dakota Permit Test the first time with our FREE South Dakota Practice Tests. Study real driving permit test questions from the DMV handbook!.
1. You may pass another vehicle on the right if it is waiting to
Park at the curb.
Turn into a driveway on the right.
2. When is it recommended to use a vehicle's headlights to let other operators know you are there?
On foggy, rainy or snowy days.
Whenever driving lights are necessary, never rely on parking lights.
All of the answers listed
During the period just before sunrise and after sunset when visual contrast becomes lower.
When travelling away from a setting or rising sun.
3. When you turn from a high-speed, two-lane roadway, ____ if you have traffic following you.
Try to increase the speed of your vehicle.
Try to quickly slow down your vehicle.
Try not to slow down your vehicle too suddenly.
Try to apply brakes and keep the steering steady.
4. If your parked car rolls away and hits another vehicle, you should
Remove your car and park in a safer place.
Report the incident to the city police.
Get the other vehicle repaired
Remove your car and go on your way.
5. When driving at night using high beams, dim your lights when you get within ____ feet of a vehicle traveling in your direction.
6. The center of the roadway is marked with one solid yellow line and one broken yellow line. if the broken yellow line is on the right of the solid yellow line (your side) it means:
You are in a 'passing zone' and it is safe to pass other vehicles if no oncoming traffic is present.
You are only allowed to make right turns in this area.
You are not allowed to pass in this area
7. When turning left at an intersection:
Oncoming traffic and pedestrians should yield to you.
You should never yield to oncoming traffic and pedestrians.
You should always yield to oncoming traffic and pedestrians.
8. Who has the right-of-way at an intersection with no crosswalks?
Pedestrians, but only with the green walk signal.
Vehicles, but they should slow down and be careful.
Pedestrians always have the right-of-way.
Motorcyclists always have the right-of-way.
9. At a crosswalk:
Construction workers must yield to you.
Pedestrians must yield to you.
You must yield to pedestrians.
10. Trucks and buses often have to turn how?
No listed answer is correct.
Turn like regular vehicles.
Use the left lane to make a right turn
Use the right lane to make a left turn.
11. Which of the following is considered to be a very dangerous condition for a driver?
All listed answers are correct.
12. If you spot a slow-moving vehicle in your driving lane, you must
Overtake with a maximum speed.
Adjust your speed and slow down safely.
Alert the driver by blowing your horn
Stop your vehicle and take a detour.
13. You should scan ____ seconds ahead of your vehicle.
14. When you are driving in the left of two traffic lanes, and many cars are passing on your right, you should:
Pull onto the left shoulder to let the other vehicles pass.
Turn your emergency indicators on.
Stay in your lane so you will not impede the traffic flow.
Move over into the right lane when it is safe.
15. If you encounter an aggressive driver you should:
Get out of their way.
16. You must yield the right-of-way to an emergency vehicle by:
Driving as near to the right edge of the road as possible and stopping.
Moving into the right lane and driving slowly until it has passed.
Stopping immediately, even if you are in an intersection.
Accelerate to get out of the way of the emergency vehicle.
17. What should you do if your accelerator sticks while you are driving?
Concentrate on steering and seeing the road.
Pump the accelerator and try to clear any obstruction.
Shift to neutral, brake and stop off of the road, turn on flashers.
All of the above.
18. You see a car approaching from the rear, but when you check your mirror again before changing lanes, you no longer see it. you should:
Turn your signal on and change lanes slowly.
Look over your shoulder to be sure the car is not in your blind spot.
Signal, honk your horn, and change lanes slowly.
Accelerate to change lanes quicker.
19. If you have to wait for a space to enter a freeway:
Maintain speed and force other drivers to make a gap.
Stop at the end of the ramp to wait for a gap.
Slow down on the ramp to wait for a gap.
20. Just like alcohol and other drugs, driving while drowsy can:
Impair your judgment.
Make you feel better.
Help you to be a better driver. Grade
South Dakota DMV Driving Test