Pass the South Dakota Permit Test the first time with our FREE South Dakota Practice Tests. Study real driving permit test questions from the DMV handbook!.
1. Why should drivers and passengers adjust seat headrests in motor vehicles?
It helps people relax, relieving the stress of driving.
It helps people avoid and reduce the severity of neck injuries.
It lets people maintain their hair styles.
Tired people can prop up their heads, helping them stay alert.
2. In order to help communicate with other drivers, you should use your headlights anytime there is not sufficient light to see a person ____ feet away.
3. To guard against glare from the headlights of a vehicle behind you, you must use ____ and adjust it before you drive.
A dark-colored mirror.
A lighting filter.
A reflective mirror.
A day-night mirror.
4. When you see a truck with smoke coming from its brakes, which of the following is an appropriate reaction?
Find a runaway truck ramp and park next to it to alert the driver to its presence.
Get behind it and as far away from it as possible.
Honk the horn and wave to the driver to alert him
Pull in front of it to increase drag and help it slow down.
5. You may cross a single solid white line in the highway
Whenever you want to.
If traffic conditions require.
Only to turn into a driveway.
Only to make a u-turn.
6. Which of these is not safe driving practice?
Maintaining a three-second following distance.
Staring at the road ahead of your vehicle.
Keeping your low beam lights on during bad weather.
Keeping a space-cushion around the vehicle.
7. Which lane must you be in before making a left turn from a one-way street?
The lane nearest the left curb.
The lane nearest the center of the street.
The lane nearest the right curb
8. When should a bus back up?
Not unless absolutely necessary.
When a passenger requests it.
When it misses it's stop
When the driver feels like it.
9. Just like alcohol and other drugs, driving while drowsy can:
Impair your judgment.
Make you feel better.
Help you to be a better driver.
10. Driving slower than other traffic tends to:
Make an accident more likely to happen.
Make an accident less likely to happen.
Not change the chances of having an accident.
Is a defensive driving technique.
11. Which of the following statements is true about BAC (blood alcohol content)
The breathalyzer is a test of a person's bac.
A chemical test for BAC is needed for an alcohol conviction.
Bac levels are reduced by a person's physical fitness
After drinking, coffee or a cold shower will lower your bac.
12. You should use your vehicle's horn when:
You are involved in an emergency situation.
Traffic ahead of you is traveling below the speed limit.
All of the above.
13. If a driver behind you is following too closely, you must
Move to the right lane and reduce your speed.
Move to the left lane and reduce your speed.
Move to the left lane and increase your speed
Move to the right lane and stop your vehicle.
14. When preparing to leave a parallel parking spot, you should
Look in the rear-view mirror.
Look over your shoulder.
Indicate your intention by signaling
Do all of the above.
15. What is the safest lane position on a multi-lane road?
The far left side.
The far right side
The side furthest from the nearest car.
16. Which of the following should you do if your brakes stop working?
All listed answers.
Downshift to lower gears.
Use the parking brake
Pump the brake pedal several times.
17. To know where traffic is behind you:
Look out the back window.
Frequently check your rearview mirror.
Keep other vehicles out of your blind spots.
18. What effect does drinking alcohol and taking a prescription drug or over the counter medicine have
The medicine reduces the effect of the alcohol.
The alcohol will help the medicine cure the cold.
The combination could multiply the effects of the alcohol
No effect, they are different substances.
19. When you are driving in the left of two traffic lanes, and many cars are passing on your right, you should:
Pull onto the left shoulder to let the other vehicles pass.
Turn your emergency indicators on.
Stay in your lane so you will not impede the traffic flow.
Move over into the right lane when it is safe.
20. You want to go into a store to make a quick purchase. you should:
Leave the car running and set the parking brake.
Stop the engine and set the parking brake.
Stop the engine, but set the parking brake only if on a slope.
Leave the car running if you do not plan on being absent for longer than five minutes. Grade
South Dakota DMV Driving Test