Pass the South Dakota Permit Test the first time with our FREE South Dakota Practice Tests. Study real driving permit test questions from the DMV handbook!.
1. When you are traveling on a two-lane road and a vehicle ahead of you stops for a pedestrian, you must
Not pass the stopped vehicle.
Alert the stopped vehicle to take a detour.
Reduce your speed and pass the vehicle slowly
Change lanes and pass the vehicle quickly.
2. If a car ahead of you has stopped at a crosswalk, you should:
Stop and then proceed when safe.
Change lanes, look carefully, and pass.
Slow down, look both ways, and proceed.
Drive to the right edge of the road and stop.
3. A solid yellow line next to a broken yellow line means that vehicles
In both directions may pass.
Next to the solid line may pass.
Next to the broken line may pass.
4. You are approaching a green traffic light, but traffic is blocking the intersection. what is the best thing to do?
Partially enter the intersection to establish your right of way.
Don't enter the intersection until you can get completely across.
Continue into the intersection and wait for traffic to clear.
5. Which lane must you be in before making a left turn from a one-way street?
The lane nearest the left curb.
The lane nearest the center of the street.
The lane nearest the right curb
6. What is the appropriate action to take when approaching a railroad crossing that does not have signals (such as lights or crossing gates)
Always bring the car to a complete stop.
Slow down and be prepared to stop.
Do nothing-- all railroad crossings have signals
Increase speed to get across the tracks quickly.
7. Give the right-of-way to any pedestrian who is:
In a marked crosswalk.
In any crosswalk or intersection.
Crossing any street.
8. You should use your vehicle's horn when:
You are involved in an emergency situation.
Traffic ahead of you is traveling below the speed limit.
All of the above.
9. When there are two solid yellow lines in the center, passing is
Not permitted in either direction.
Permitted for heavy vehicles.
Permitted in both directions
Permitted in one direction.
10. Which of the following is true regarding safety belts?
They need to be worn only when driving at high speed.
They keep you from being thrown clear to safety, which lowers your chances of surviving accidents.
Most likely you will drown if your seatbelt is on when your car goes into a lake or river.
They increase your chances of survival in most types of accidents.
11. Use your high-beam headlights at night:
As little as possible.
Only on unlit streets.
Whenever it is legal and safe.
Always on a highway.
12. In which of these cases should you always check behind you?
All listed answers are correct.
When backing up.
When changing lanes
When slowing down.
When driving downhill.
13. Should you drive slower than other traffic that is traveling within the speed limit?
Yes. it makes the other traffic drive slower, too.
No. you can block traffic when you drive too slowly.
Yes. it is safer than driving too fast.
Yes, provided you are not driving in the far left lane.
14. Broken yellow lines (dashes) are used on streets and highways to:
Separate lanes of traffic moving in opposite directions.
Indicate no passing zones.
Separate lanes of traffic moving in the same direction
15. If a driver behind you repeatedly flashes his/her headlights, you should
Switch on your low-beam lights.
Increase your vehicle speed and move ahead.
Switch on your high-beam lights
Get out of the way.
16. Drag racing will incur ____ points on your license.
17. When parking your vehicle on any hill:
One of your rear wheels should touch the curb.
Use your parking brake and leave the vehicle in park.
Your front wheels should be parallel to the road if there is no curb.
Always turn your wheels towards the curb.
18. Use your headlights on rainy, snowy, or foggy days:
On the high-beam setting.
So other drivers can see you.
To warn others of bad conditions.
Only in combination with emergency lights.
19. If you are driving downhill and the downgrade is very steep, you must
Press hard on the gas pedal.
Shift to a lower gear.
Remove your seat belt
Turn on your headlights.
20. Before you change lanes, you should:
Be sure no one is behind you in your lane.
Check your mirrors and look over your shoulder.
Never look over your right shoulder.
Only check your side mirrors. Grade
South Dakota DMV Driving Test