Pass the Indiana Permit Test the first time with our FREE Indiana Practice Tests. Study real driving permit test questions from the DMV handbook!.
1. What is a safety zone?
An empty space next to the freeway dividers.
A space set aside for pedestrians.
The median strip on a divided highway.
A space around your vehicle that allows you to react to driving hazards.
2. What is the basic speed law?
Never drive faster than is safe for current conditions.
Never drive faster than the posted speed limits.
Keep up with the flow of traffic.
All of the above.
3. When a stop is required at an intersection and no markings appear to indicate a stop line or crosswalk, which of the following is the appropriate place to make the stop?
The driver is not required to stop.
Only at a place where the driver can see at least 200 feet on either side without regard for the intersecting roadway.
At the point nearest the intersecting roadway where the driver has a view of approaching traffic on the intersecting roadway before actually entering the roadway
The driver is required to slow down to make sure crossing traffic is clear.
4. Which of these is a safe driving practice?
Checking your rearview mirrors frequently.
Staring at the road ahead of your vehicle.
Using your high-beam lights in the fog.
5. Large trucks turning right onto a street with two lanes in each direction:
Often have to use part of the left lane to complete the turn.
Must stay in the right lane at all times.
May complete their turn in either the right or the left lane.
Always have the right-of-way.
6. If you are in an intersection and hear the siren of an emergency vehicle, you should
Move to the left and stop in the intersection.
Move to the right and stop in the intersection.
Continue through the intersection, then drive to the right and stop
Continue through the intersection, then drive to the left and stop.
7. Under indiana law, posted speed limits ____.
Can be ignored if the driver is in an emergency situation, such as driving a pregnant family member to the hospital.
Can be ignored if the driver is in a hurry to get somewhere.
Must be obeyed at all times
None of the listed answers.
8. When changing lanes you should not
Check for other drivers who may be moving into the same lane as you.
Check your side and rear view mirrors.
Use your cell phone to contact the police to determine if the road ahead is clear.
Give a turn signal to signal your intentions.
9. Th e safe and legal passing of another vehicle requires that a driver:
Pass when the lane marking is a solid line.
Make sure the passing lane is clear of traffic, and checks behind and to the left to make sure another car is not attempting to pass.
All answers are correct
Apply the brake and slow down.
10. When driving on a road with no centerline where vehicles come from each direction, drivers must
Give at least half the road to others going in the opposite direction.
Use the full lane when there is no oncoming traffic.
Always drive on the left of the center lane
Do none of the above.
11. When driving near light rail vehicles, always
Be careful turning across train tracks.
Pay attention and obey all traffic signs.
All of these.
Expect trains on any track at any time.
12. As you drive, you're required to stop your vehicle:
At an intersection with a stop sign.
All of the above.
Where there is a red light.
When a traffic officer orders you to stop.
13. Under what circumstance are you legally obligated to complete a driver safety program?
If you commit two or more traffic offenses resulting in convictions in a 12-month period.
If you ever get a speeding ticket.
If you want to get your license in the first place
If you go to jail for anything vehicle-related.
If you get into any sort of accident.
14. If a person is crossing the street at a corner without crosswalks, you should:
Take the right-of-way.
Slow down and proceed with care.
Let the person have the right-of-way.
Stop 4 feet from the corner.
15. You are at a red traffic signal. the traffic light turns green, but there are still other vehicles in the intersection. you should:
Wait until the vehicles clear the intersection before entering.
Move ahead only if you can go around the other vehicles safely.
Enter the intersection and wait for traffic to clear.
Honk your horn to warn other drivers of your presence and then enter the intersection.
16. You should signal your intention to turn at least:
100 feet before turning.
50 feet before turning.
150 feet before turning.
200 feet before turning.
17. Which of the following is a valid example of a rule or guideline that you must exercise around pedestrians?
You do not have to exercise great care when children are in the vicinity.
You must honk at pedestrians if they don't cross the street quickly enough.
You must let pedestrians get in your car
You must yield right-of-way to pedestrians.
You may cross in front of a pedestrian if they are moving too slowly.
18. Which one of the following requirements must you meet in order to obtain a learner's permit if you are younger than age 16?
Prove your identity, social security number, lawful status, and indiana residency.
All of the answers listed.
Pass a vision screening test
Must at least be of age 15.
Pass a knowledge test.
19. When traveling behind a motorcycle:
Allow a following distance of at least 4 motorcycle lengths.
Allow at least 2 seconds of following distance.
Allow a following distance of at least 2 car lengths.
Allow at least 4 seconds of following distance.
20. Using the unpaved shoulder of the road to pass to the right of a car is permitted if:
The car ahead is waiting to turn left.
It should never be done.
You are turning right at the next corner.
You are riding a motorcycle. Grade
Indiana DMV Driving Test