Minnesota DMV

Minnesota DMV hours, appointments, locations, phone numbers, holidays, and services. Find the Minnesota DMV office near me.

DMV Locations Near Me

About DMV Locations

In Minnesota, the Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS) is part of the Minnesota Department of Public Safety. This division manages all services related to vehicle titling, registration, and license plates, including dealer licensing, motor carrier registration, and disability plates. The DVS is also responsible for driver services, including testing, evaluation, and education, as well as issuing driver's licenses and state identification cards. DVS facilities are located throughout the state. Hours of operation and services available vary, so check your local office for specific times and services before you visit.

To register a vehicle, snowmobile, or watercraft in person or to apply for a title, you will need to visit a DVS Deputy Registrar Office. Fees for registration vary by vehicle, and dealers with 50 or more vehicles can participate in an alternative fleet registration program. License plates for most vehicles are issued every seven years. The DVS issues standard plates as well as specialized plates, handicap plates, and commercial license and dealer plates.

Applicants for a driver's license can apply at a Driver License Office or Driver and Vehicle Services Exam Station. You will need to complete an application, pay the fee, and pass the vision screening test. A written test and skills test may also be required. Additionally, you will have to bring proper documentation, including proof of your identity, residency, and your Social Security number. Teen drivers can apply for a license through the state's graduated driver license (GDL) program. This program has three phases. As drivers progress through the phases, the license has fewer restrictions. The first phase begins at age 15 with an Instruction Permit. At age 16, drivers who have met the necessary requirements can apply for a phase two license. At age 18, you can apply for a full license if you meet the qualifications. Minn